Saturday, October 26, 2013

Lame October

By Mac Arnold
ROA Editor

This has been for sure the slowest October during deer archery season  in years ... maybe even ever.

Not because of the action, which for the three times I've been out, has been fairly good. No bucks have been seen but I've had deer milling under the stand or passing by my setup each time out.

The thing is, I just haven't been able to get away from the job like I used to when I lived across the street from a halfway decent public hunting land in St. Clair County, Mich. Even when I worked then, at least I could walk across the street for a first light hunt. Sometimes the early sits would branch out into the late morning, and I would down a buck.

Oh well.

Beats not working, which was even worse.

Really it's just a matter of time before I find something near the Monroe County, Mich., abode.

Might even take a year.

Regardless, a smoked fall tom makes up for a slow deer season so far.

But the truth be told, deer is king in autumn.

That is why I can't wait for next weekend when I get to patrol from high above the oak flats at the Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge near Saginaw, Mich., during what should be the beginning of the rut.

I've heard tales of some big uns roaming the territory.

Should be good.

At least I'll be out and in the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment