Tuesday, November 12, 2013

On the edge of greatness

By Mac Arnold
ROA Editor

Yes, I know, I'm being silly with the title of this entry.

It's unlikely there will ever be an "Arnold Buck" filling up the record books.

But the optimism that reigns prior to the first day of shotgun season in Michigan -- Nov. 15 for novices -- or the opening day in any state is a great high to ride for a few days.

I'm always amazed at how I'm frothing at the mouth at first light on that glorious day but then by noon this same energy is cut in half.

I remember hearing, I believe it was from past in-laws, that on opening day you have a 70 percent chance of scoring on a buck, 30 percent on the second day, 10 percent the third day and it ticks down from there accordingly. I see that that doesn't add up to 100 percent but I'm not sure it needs to for the point of this post.

Ummm, is there a point?

Anyway, I often wonder what ... say Milo Hansen was thinking the day in 1993 he got up before bagging what is often considered the best whitetail buck ever with a Boone & Crocket score of 213 5/8 in Saskatchewan, Canada.

"Today, I'm headed out to shoot the biggest bruiser ever on the planet ... "

Yeah he did. He probably was wondering where he could get a good cup of coffee before heading out on the great hunting prairie of Canada.

I'm sure when the curtain of darkness lifts Friday morning I'll be anticipating my own buck of a lifetime racing past the blind at the Sanilac County camp where I have the great privilege to hunt.

Eh, or it's more likely I'll be ready by noon for that steaming cup of joe at the diner where we all meet for lunch in Yale, Mich.

Good luck everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment