Thursday, July 9, 2015

Thinking on pond was a little hasty

By Mac Arnold
RTWO Editor-In-Chief

After a couple decent outings on the Monroe County, Michigan pond behind the house, I've come to rethink whether the late winter fish kill wiped out all the bass.

RTWO photo by Mac Arnold
Biggest one of the night I caught at dark
July 4. They were all about a foot long. 
Maybe all the big boys.

But so far I've hauled in at least five or more on two occasions. However, both times were evening gigs. Seems to be the winning strategy.

No action on the two morning jaunts.

Now these were hardly world-beaters but just average length largemouths. Big enough to put up good fights for fun.

Some may say it seems like it would be like shooting ducks in a barrel but I stick to the golden rule of no live bait for bass.

As usual the killer color for Gary Yamamoto's Senkos this time of year is chartreuse and pepper flake.

Oh, wait a minute, I needed to keep that quiet as my longtime pal Bill Brisebois is coming to town for a visit this Saturday (July 11) and of course, our annual fishing challenge.

And I'm sure a trip to Cabela's, his favorite store, will be in order.

Hope he didn't read the Senko part. Or the Cabela's part (it really isn't his favorite place to go).



No comments:

Post a Comment