Saturday, October 24, 2015

Lookie, lookie who's coming a callin'

By Mac Arnold
RTWO Editor-In-Chief

It is time to get serious about deer hunting, hence, the shaved head for this veteran woodsman.

But then again, when I look at the Jeep's temperature gauge, it's at nearly 70 degrees with gusty winds and rain in the forecast.
The bigger of the two bucks I have on my trail cam is at the
lower left of this picture.

Yet, with it being Oct. 24 and the end of month slowly approaching, we of the timber, waves of corn and beans and pines, know Mr. Big Buck doesn't really care what it's like outside when it's time to find love and protect his territory from potential invading suitors.

He'll be there and so will I, hopefully at the same time.

Although I've been patrolling the nearby oak flats in Monroe Country, Mich., for just under two years, I do know of what has been out there antler-wise from the previous whitetail season.

A spike and button were left to walk another year and a big boy was not tagged because of my errant shot and failed go-around in November.

But I now have even more confirmation. This is the first time in a few years that I have employed a trail cam. I apologize that the pictures aren't the best because I put it up a ways on the tree to at least make it an effort for a thief to walk away with a free camera.

Yes, weather be damned, it's tough to sit back when you know what's out there.




At right, the smaller of the two bucks approached from the same direction but at a time when he can be legally shot.


No comments:

Post a Comment