Monday, September 9, 2013

Everything coming up acorns for this deer hunter


Right out of the box for this year it seems that
I didn't do too badly. The two 12-ringers were
the final adjustments in my spontaneous shoot
this past weekend and shoulders felt fine later.
ROA photo by Mac Arnold




By Mac Arnold
ROA  Editor

It appears things are coming together nicely for the upcoming fall deer season.

Just found out last week that I did pull a doe tag for the public land unit near my new home in Monroe, Mich.

It's still a haul compared to merely walking across the street like I did at the old house in St. Clair County, Mich., but things change and change can be good.

I believe it will be for this grizzle-bearded whitetail hunter.

In addition to this, on Tuesday (Sept. 10) I will once again be standing in line at a sporting goods outlet somewhere in Monroe County trying to score a doe tag for public land in St. Clair County. I've tentatively mapped out a deer sabbatical for November, and it would be short-sighted, if not downright foolish, if I didn't consider setting up on whitetails in the old haunts.

Especially when I already have a familiar place to stay.
I'm piecing together all the necessary deer hunting apparel and gear, which at one time was scattered among the old house, the new trailer and three storage units.

One of the final key items to be secured in time for the Oct. 1 archery opener was the favored safety harness with its seemingly permanent cover scent after years of being used in the "old mother tree," a rather stately pine behind the old house.

To tell you the truth, as I recall now, I never did any good in that tree.

Change is good.





No comments:

Post a Comment