Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Fall on the water?

By Mac Arnold
ROA Editor

Have I been out bass fishing for the last time this season, that is the question?

Hmmmm, could be.

I was planning on hitting the river or creek Tuesday, Aug. 27, but I couldn't justify floating the canoe with the impending storms, which elicited a severe thunderstorm watch from the National Weather Service for Monroe County, Mich., and most of the Detroit area until 9 p.m.

It appeared later I could have made it off the water in time but I likely would have been in the driveway packing away stuff under a torrential downpour.

No thanks.

Maybe I would have went for it if not for the nice smallies I hooked on the two previous outings in the month of August.

With the dramatic move in my life from the house in St. Clair County, Mich., to the trailer in Monroe, I no longer have a hunting ... er, dog, so this will likely result in me getting in a bass gig later than usual this year. I've always wanted to try out a river jaunt with the leaves turning their magical oranges, yellows and reds, and here is my chance.

I've heard the bite can be awesome as the temperatures drop with the onset of the autumn months. I guess that does it, the answer is no, the canoe will float at least one more time down the river this year.

*****

Other hodgepodge items:

-- I've recently been in contact with my friend George, who owns the camp in Sanilac County, Mich., I am blessed to hunt on, and he told me, "I should come up (to turkey hunt). Done a lot of planting ... lots of fruit and acorns." Have to admit it's really bumming me out that I was considering NOT fall turkey hunting since I was NOT lucky enough to draw for a unit closer to my home in Monroe. So I hope there are still over-the-counter tags remaining for the YY unit and at least make one outing this fall, if not two, or three, or four ...

-- On the deer hunting front, I learned that I scored the elusive Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge archery hunt in prime rut territory -- Nov. 1-Nov. 5. This, along with the week off from work for the first part of regular firearms season should give me plenty of opportunities to score a nice buck. I'm definitely due. And deer seasons following a successful, well, moderately successful spring gobbler hunt, I have found spell glory.






No comments:

Post a Comment