Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Bassin' into late summer

ROA photos by Mac Arnold
This smallmouth bass put up a great fight the evening of
Aug. 22. 
He must have been camera-shy.
By Mac Arnold
ROA Editor

Time is definitely running out on the summer bass season for this outdoorsman.

Yet it seems like this is when the big boys bite best on River Raisin in Monroe County, Mich.

The one (and only one) I hooked the evening of Friday, Aug. 22, jumped a foot out of the water and then dove straight under the canoe. It was a full-blown riot. Probably the best fight on a catch this summer.

It wasn't a gargantuan smallie like some that we pulled out of the river here last summer but still a solid 15-incher, one-pounder.

For sure, it is tough to be disappointed knowing the muggy evenings patrolling the river canoebound while trying to pinpoint a lunker's hideout are winding down. This is always one of my favorite time of the year as the excitement builds with some of the best hunting gigs fast approaching -- nuisance goose, fall turkey.

And now, once again: woodcock and grouse.

Yep, I've got a bird dog. Er, maybe I should qualify that with a "potential" bird dog.

This black Lab pup, we aptly named Augie for where he comes from in Ohio, near the Auglaize River, has the right DNA for the job. Both of his parents are certified Master Hunters.

He is still very young but I don't care. Even if he is barely 4 months old by the time the popples are turning yellow, I'm going to have Augie in tow.

Man, I sure missed bird hunting. But what more is I missed having a bird dog that knew what was up. Hopefully I can knock one down over him so he can get a snort of timberdoodle scent and put one and one together.

And then I'll be the most giddy bird hunter in the Midwest.








Augie the doggie, my newest companion for the woods
looks anything 'but' a tenacious gun dog. I guess it's
going to be awhile before we find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment