Thursday, August 21, 2014

Doom and gloom for 2014-15? Hardly

By Mac Arnold
ROA Editor

After Sunday night's (Aug. 17) blog entry, I wanted to assure readers that the death knell of Mac's Hunting Mag will in no way define the upcoming season here at Rockin' Outdoor Adventures with Mac Arnold.

There aren't any big ticket endeavors planned for this late summer or fall, such as the long-coveted Maine moose hunt or the much fun-packed Upper Peninsula, Mich. bear hunt. Nor, as I learned via email Tuesday, Aug. 19, was I drawn for the Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge's deer hunt in Saginaw County, Mich. Another potential high-profile gig, although I've never seen anything substantial buckwise running across the fed's dedicated swamplands.

But we here at ROA plan to entertain as always.

The first exciting hunt coming down the barrel could be as soon as Sept. 1, with the nuisance goose season.

This isn't any joke here, but I might be living in Monroe County, Mich., a few hundred yards from one of the best goose spots I've been availed to ... ever.

It could be a one-and-done situation being it's close to residential areas but don't get me wrong, I have the legal distance of 450 feet from homes and buildings, it's just that the blam-o-rama could cause an uproar.

Trust me, I'm doing my homework for it.

But if I drop one of these noisy down-feathered B-52s, it could just keep me tickled for the remainder of autumn.

It's been a few years since I've shot a goose.

Then, of course, let festivities begin Sept. 15 with Michigan's fall turkey season at the Thumb camp. There should be the usual many candidates milling through the property's southwest oak flats and 40,000 some allotted tags to fill. Oh, boy!

I've also promised a special someone I would take her down the River Raisin for a late summer bass outing. Fish on! in so many ways with that one.

These lead into the granddaddy of them all Oct. 1: deer archery.

But that one is a blog entry all in itself, so stay tuned.






No comments:

Post a Comment